Sunday, May 13, 2012

Before I was a Mom....



    (getting ready to head to South Bank after a very rough morning)


Before I was a Mom...

I made and ate hot meals. I had unstained clothing. I had quiet conversations on the phone.

Before I was a Mom... I slept as late as I wanted and never worried about how late I got into bed. I brushed my hair everyday.

Before I was a Mom... I cleaned my house each day. I never tripped over toys or forgot words to lullabies.

Before I was a Mom... I didn't worry whether or not my plants were poisonous. I never thought about Immunizations.

Before I was a Mom... I had never been puked on, pooped on, spit on, chewed on, peed on or pinched by tiny fingers. I had complete control of my mind, my thoughts, and my body. I slept all night.

Before I was a Mom... I never held down a screaming child so that doctors could do tests or give shots. I never looked into teary eyes and cried. I never got gloriously happy over a simple grin. I never sat up late hours at night watching a baby sleep.

Before I was a Mom... I never held a sleeping baby just because I didn't want to put it down. I never felt my heart break into a million pieces when I couldn't stop the hurt. I never knew that something so small could affect my life so much. I never knew that I could love someone so much. I never knew I would love being a Mom.

Before I was a Mom... I didn't know the feeling of having my heart outside my body. I didn't know how special it could feel to feed a hungry baby. I didn't know that bond between a mother and her child. I didn't know that something so small could make me feel so important.

Before I was a Mom... I had never gotten up in the middle of the night every 10 minutes to make sure all was okay. I had never known the warmth, the joy, the love, the heartache, the wonderment, or the satisfaction of being a Mom. I didn't know I was capable of feeling so much before I was a Mom. 
-"unknown"


I read this poem a few days ago and loved it. But, it's especially fitting today, on my 1st Mother's Day, after Nicholas decided to wake up at 3am and sleep very little after that. 

We had talked about our plans for today, and I just don't understand why he didn't listen. The plan was to have a good night sleep. Mommy was possibly even going to have a bit of a sleep in. Then, we were going to walk to South Bank and have brekky at The Max Brenner Chocolate Bar. I've been talking about the waffles all week. 

Well, all plans went out the window when Mr. Fussy Pants arrived shortly after the unscheduled 3am wake-up. Ryan and I decided it best to wait until Nicholas had a first nap at home before venturing out in the world.  I was working on very little sleep and wasn't in the best mood (That's probably an understatement) and Nicholas was equally as pissy. 

Anyways, after our rough morning, we made our way along the river to the South Bank Parklands, my favorite part of Brisbane. We tried to go to Max Brenner, but the line was crazy long. So, we went to another favorite restaurant, an organic cafe called Flowers of the World. They make a great iced coffee. We enjoyed our lunch before heading to the outdoor Life Style Markets, where Ryan bought me a new scarf for my Mum's Day present.  After that, we met up with Tash & Chris, their son, Cameron, and Chris' mom, Norma, who is visiting from Canada. We all walked through the parklands to the Museum where, once again, Mr. Fussy Pants made an appearance. We weren't able to stay at the museum for too long since Nicholas wasn't settling. But, it was nice to meet up with the Reynolds.  After leaving the museum, Nicholas fell asleep in the stroller and Ryan and I were able to have a nice, relaxing walk along the river.

I'm glad I was able to snap out of my morning moodiness. I was really bothered and wasn't enjoying the day at all.  I had to conscientiously remind myself that this day wasn't about whether or not we accomplished our original plans, rather it was about appreciating the fact that we've been blessed with this little soul that brings so much happiness to us daily. I love Nicholas more than words can ever describe, and celebrating him making me a mum was what this day was all about.  Thank you, Nicholas, for making me a mom! 

 
(Enjoying a little sun in the South Bank Parklands)